Sunday 12 February 2017

Administration of prescription only medicines - settling a dispute, the final part

Further scrutiny of the Human Medicines Regulations 2012 and discussion yesterday with expert colleagues has brought me to the conclusion that I was wrong.  This causes me much distress.  Not that I could be wrong, I sometimes am though not that often, but because the Regs leave the administration of non-parenteral POMs effectively unregulated.

In most healthcare settings additional governance is delivered by treating non-parenteral POMs in the same way as parenteral POMs, so administered by health professionals and prescribed or authorised under PGD.  Ambulance services appear to be the only health sector allowing unregistered staff to administer non-parenteral POMs under a local protocol.

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment